Peer Companion positions are available for the following locations:
- The Orange and Ulster County Rose House- Walden, NY
- The Putnam County Rose House- Garrison, NY
- The Dutchess County Rose House- Hyde Park, NY
- The Warren and Washington County Rose House- Glens Falls, NY
The Rose House is a 24 hours service. Shifts available are 9am-5pm, 4pm-12am, 12am- 9am. Overnights and weekends may be required.
Please see bottom of description for cover letter and resume requirements. To learn more about PEOPLe, Inc. , please visit www.projectstoempower.org
The Per Diem Crisis Diversion Peer Companion staff will support the daily operations of our Rose House Crisis Respite. She or he provides peer support for each Rose House guest. The Peer Companion is available to instill hope, support wellness and demonstrate that recovery is real and does happen. Peer Companions model and utilize trauma informed techniques and tools, help guests set goals and engage in community and social events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide support for guests during interview, intake, arrival and departure.
- Share personal experience and encourage mental health wellness and recovery.
- Assist in connection to mental health services, community resources, entitlements, and other services as needed.
- Model and utilize Trauma Informed techniques and tools as out lined in : Intentional Peer Support (IPS), Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP), Mental Health First Aid, Emotional CPR (eCPR), Motivational Interviewing, SafeTALK, Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), PEOPLe, Inc. In-House Peer Advocacy Training, and Crisis Diversion / Respite House Training
- Transport guests to store or appointments when needed, using company car.
- Provide telephone support to peers in the community through the 24 hour peer warm line.
- Help maintain a clean, safe and secure environment. Some cleaning duties may be assigned.
- Manage downtime with Guest and Rose House program focused activities and duties.
- Work cooperatively Rose House team and maintain clear, honest and respectful communication with team members.
- Honesty, respect for diversity, high personal standards, language and behaviors reflecting such values.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize the need for and facilitate connections between consumers and the community.
- Understanding of available community supports.
- Qualify for New York State Peer Specialist Certification. http://nypeerspecialist.org/
- Working knowledge of confidentiality requirements related to records pertaining to Mental Health and Chemical Dependency laws.
- Must have good time management skills and be self-directing.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- High School Diploma preferred.
- At least two years in recovery from acute care environment
- Shared vision of hope for people experiencing crisis
- Work or Volunteer experience providing peer support, advocacy or human services.
- Able to delineate behaviors behind values of critical care and recovery (preferred)
- Basic knowledge of community support services/resources
- Completion of Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) training (preferred).
- Understanding of recovery vs. illness based system (preferred)
- Professional demeanor.
- Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred.
This position is a part time per diem position available for up to 20 Hours per week.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Director of Diversion Services